One of our key goals for 2013 is that character-based leaders connect. To that end, we added a Google+ community to connect further in another social sphere and we had an Instigator call about starting local groups.
While we believe we connect globally, for most of us, we will make our biggest impact locally. Sure someone might become the next John Maxwell or Ken Blanchard, but we can sell many fewer books and still make a significant impact in our sphere of influence. So in 2013, a big part of Lead Change Group’s focus is to connect people in local communities.
In Tulsa, we’ve hosted a number of breakfasts like the one depicted in this video and we’ve hosted 2 Chick-fil-A Leadercasts. And we’re doing that again this year too. If you’re in the Tulsa area and you’d like to make 2013 the year you do something extravagant with your own personal leadership development, check out the Tulsa Leadercast venues. But right after that, in June, join us for our breakfast dialogue too.
We talked about the history of the Tulsa group and some lessons we’ve learned in Tulsa.
- You have to start small. While we held a couple of planning meetings, our first project, the 2011 Tulsa Leadercast was organized by about 6 people.
- You need a long vision. It took us 6 months to get the Leadercast planned and another 2 months to have our first breakfast.
- You’ll need to spend some money. The first Leadercast we actually made a little money, but that was after an up-front investment. Our breakfasts generally just break even.
- And it will be a lot of work.
Nothing valuable comes through ease. Hard work toward a good cause produces great rewards. In Tulsa, people have connected, collaborated, done business together, even created training content and got speaking engagements because of involvement in Lead Change. Involvement in something bigger than ourselves demonstrates who we are and the best leaders lead from their “who-they-are.” People you meet in this context see more than a transactional relationship. They see the person they can be when they join us on a community-sized vision.
Instigators on our first call were from:
- New Jersey / New York City area – connect with @Will_Lukang;
- Minneapolis, MN area – connect with @ryansetter;
- Nashville / Murfreesboro, TN area – connect with @JohnBossong;
- Montreal, Quebec, Canada area – connect with @soniadima;
- Los Angeles, CA area;
- Enid, Oklahoma area;
- Tulsa, Oklahoma area – connect with me.
People who have an interest who couldn’t be on the call also hail from, Chicago, IL, Denver, CO, Raleigh, NC and Central and Southern Florida, Northern California, and Dallas, Texas. Also, there is a large group, Authentic Leadership Cincinnati (OH) that is part of this heritage too.
If you’re in one of these areas, please Contact Us and we’ll connect you with any of our friends in your local vicinity via LinkedIn or email. Also, stay tuned. We’re going to have more of these calls this year. Maybe this is the year that you and 2 other friends change the world.
“Never doubt that a small group of committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” Margaret Mead
If you’re interested in expanding your vision to your community, here’s a link to the whole call. It’s about an hour long and most of it is a history of the Tulsa group. But if you’re interested, please stay tuned or comment below. Thanks.