Do Not Do List
Last week, I was teaching part three of the 15 Invaluable Laws Of Growth at our company. As I was presenting, one topic, what came to mind is the Do Not Do List.
Like anyone, I often struggle as I work at overcoming some of my weaknesses in life. This is a daily challenge and I persevere to keep at it. So I thought it would be appropriate for me to write an article on this topic.
What is a do not do list? A do not do list is a list of things that are holding you back. It could include habits, practices or behaviors that prevent you from making progress.
On my list, procrastinating is number one. I have the tendency to put things off because I think that I can get it done tomorrow. This habit has caused me a lot of trouble because I fail to accomplish the things that I need to do, therefore I cannot move to the next step.
Create A List
Fold a piece of paper in the middle. Write the headers weaknesses on the top left section and action items on the right side. THen take the next steps:
- List Your Weaknesses – These are habits, behaviors and practices that are holding you back.
- Write It Out - Write each weakness on the left side of the paper and on the right side list action items that you need to do to improve or eliminate your weakness. More importantly, state when you will work on it
- List The Impact Of Each Item To Your Life – How much impact does it have? Does it hold you back? Mark it as High - for very impactful, Mid - for impactful, or Minor — for little impact, for the level that it holds you back.
- Prioritize – Do this by marking the most impactful first. High impact to minor impact
- Start now – Don’t wait another day. Start now and make it happen
- Persevere & Be Persistent – Don't stop.
Consistency Is The Key To Your Success
Once you have the list, you need to change your habits and the things that you do in your life. In order to make progress, we must change our habits.
There will be days we don’t feel like working on our weaknesses, but a day wasted means we are day away from achieving our goals. Keep at it and be persistent. Writing is a labor of love; share this to people you know will benefit from reading it.
Let me know if it works for you by leaving a comment.