The Invisible Woman
As a child, were you fascinated with the idea of being invisible? Or wondered what it would be like to see the world and not have the world see you? Have you ever played spy games and pretended to be incognito?
If you are a fan of Lord of the Rings, The Fantastic Four, Disney’s Now You See Him - Now You Don’t, The Invisible Man or any "Harry Potter" movie, you’ve probably spent some time imagining what it would be like to be invisible.
On the flip side of that is our human need to be truly seen, loved, and accepted for who we are. And to be allowed to use our brains, our hearts, and our imaginations in any situation we desire.
So what if you were suddenly cloaked?
- Would you feel like a little kid and embrace the adventure?
- Would it be like Frodo, putting on “the ring” to be invisible and safe for a moment, but then exposed to dark forces like your own fears?
- Would you become wiser or more humble?
- Would you have fun for a time and then become more desperate to be seen again?
As I prepare to move across the ocean, I know that almost as soon as my feet hit the ground I will be given a “cloak of invisibility.”
When I first pondered that experience, scenes from movies and the media flashed through my mind and my emotions nearly knocked me over. When I shared those thoughts with my husband, I found an unbelievable depth of understanding, support, and freedom.
So while my mind is tempted to listen to my first reaction of fear, and sadness, and the belief that I will somehow be diminished, my heart says that I can choose faith over fear.
And although I’ve not seen my new wardrobe item yet, it has been named “the cloak of invisibility” to remind me:
- To focus on the joy that children experience when they imagine they are invisible and to help me turn this into a fun experience.
- To help me remember that this an opportunity to seek first to understand, to grow my listening skills, and to learn about humility.
- That there are lots of people in this world that are treated as if they are invisible and this is my chance to see them with new eyes.
- ...That perhaps, the cloak will become one of the greatest gifts I’ve ever been given!
So tell me… When have you felt invisible? What did you like about it? What made it hard? What did you learn?
To read more how we are leveraging our expat journey to learn more about self-leadership and navigating seasons of change ~ or to share your experiences and wisdom ~ CLICK HERE!
Photo Credits: iStock Photo